The best way to ensure your child has a healthy lifestyle is to be a role model to your child.
Children learn from copying the behaviours of those they see around them. As a parent, or adult who is in close contact with children it is important that the behaviours they see and copy are positive.
As a role model allow your child to see adults:
- Eating fruit and vegetables at snack time.
- Being involved in active play and physical sessions
- Participating in family mealtimes
- Modelling skills such as throwing, jumping, balancing and sharing
- Food shopping and preparing food
- Enjoying being active and having fun
As a role model encourage and support children by:
- Encouraging them to learn to eat a variety of foods.
- Praising them when they try a new activity or food.
- Talking to them about food and making healthy choices.
- Encouraging them to play with others.
- Involving them in food shopping, food preparation and mealtimes.
- Helping them to find activities they enjoy and to understand the importance of moving.
Do it together:
If we are trying to change children’s behaviours then it is important to do it together.
Remember it only takes a little to achieve a lot and it is easy to introduce healthy eating and activity behaviours into routines so that they become part of your everyday life.
Take a look at Startwell’s web site which gives more hints, tips and information about keeping healthy and active together.